Housing Choices – Second Units/Basement Rentals in the City of Mississauga

Second units are part of the City’s affordable housing strategy. A second unit is a self-contained living unit within a detached, semi-detached house or townhouse. They are also called basement apartments, in-law suites or secondary suites. Ontario laws now require municipalities to allow second units in homes.

Mississauga City Council approved a plan to permit second units on July 3, 2013. The plan includes official plan policies, zoning regulations and licensing requirements. The official plan policies permit second units within detached, semi-detached and townhouse dwellings, where appropriate. The Zoning By-law is available here.

As of January 2, 2014 a licence is required for a Second Unit to be legal (see City By-law204-13) .

Second Units Building Code Guide

Click the PDF link to access a document containing the main points for design consideration when preparing drawings for permit submission in conjunction with a second unit. This document contains excerpts from Parts 9 and 11 of the Ontario Building Code to aid the designer by illustrating compliance regulations of the Ontario Building Code.

This is not meant to be a complete list of all the code requirements.

How do I get a Licence

There are two steps to get a second unit licence:
Step 1: Make it safe
Step 2: Get your licence
Please use the checklist below to help guide you through the process.
Step 1: Make it Safe

Licence for an existing Second Unit created on or before July 14, 1994  

Licence for an existing Second Unit created between July 15, 1994 and November 16 1995  

Licence for a New Second Unit  

Step 2: Get Your Licence
Once you have completed Step 1, you can apply for your Second Unit Licence.
When applying for your Second Unit Licence, you may have to obtain documents from:
  Planning and Building
  Building Inspections
  Fire Inspections
  Electrical Safety Authority

How to get your Licence

Why Should I Get a Second Unit Licence

A Second Unit licence helps keep you and your tenants safe. Your tenants will feel more secure knowing their home is up to code. You will feel more secure knowing you have proper insurance for your unit. Getting a licence for your unit will also help you to avoid fines that could be issued for not complying with the by-law.
Property owners are responsible for making sure their units are up to Ontario fire and building code standards, as well as City regulations and other licensing requirements.
Second Units Brochure adobe pdf   |   Second Units Information Package adobe pdf
For more information on obtaining a Second Unit Licence:
311 Call Us In Person: Compliance and Licensing
3-1-1 or Ground Floor,
905-615-4311 300 City Centre Drive
outside city limits Monday to Friday
TTY: 905-896-5151 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Email Us
Housing Choices – Second Units By-law Enforcement

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: