The August long weekend – Simcoe Day in Toronto – is a civic holiday and a long weekend for many people in the Greater Toronto area.
The holiday goes by many names across the province, and it goes by different names and is often celebrated with different traditions across the country. In Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island the day is known as Natal Day, while it is Regatta Day in Newfoundland. In Ottawa the Civic Holiday is often referred to as Colonel By Day.
Businesses are not required to close Monday under the provincial Retail Business Holidays Act, so they may open at the discretion of the municipality.
Below is a list of what’s open and closed in the GTA:
- Tourist attractions (ROM, Ontario Science Centre, Toronto Zoo, Ripley’s Aquarium)
- Major malls (Eaton Centre, Yorkdale, Fairview, Sherway Gardens, Square One, Vaughan Mills)
- Select Beer Store locations (Click here for a full list)
- LCBO (378 stores across the province will be open. Click here to find your store)
- Movie theaters
- City-run facilities like pools, splash pads and golf courses. (Click herefor details)
- Riverdale Farm
- High Park Zoo
- Toronto Islands and ferries
- Government offices
- Post offices and mail delivery
- All Toronto Public Library branches
Source: 680News.com by NEWS STAFF Posted Jul 31, 2015 5:07 am EDT